Saturday, March 21, 2009

Awkward


Every Saturday morning, V and I take a nice long walk while we let M sleep in as he always works super late on Friday nights.

This Saturday morning was extremely lovely, the weather was perfect for a stroll and it is a perfect time for contemplation.

What started me thinking was the person that was approaching me. For some reason I always feel uncomfortable when the sidewalks are empty except for that one person heading towards you.
So I started feeling uncomfortable, more uncomfortable as he got closer and closer and then he said............. "Morning!" in a bright and cheery voice.

I responded in a more subdued manner with "Morning", My eyes glanced up at his face, made quick contact and slid away...

What is wrong with me?

I can't even say 'Good Morning' to a pleasant person out on a stroll just like me? Am I so paranoid?

So I had to ponder this for the rest of the walk.

I have this feeling it comes across as snobby. I mean, I know it did in high school (or at least I remember one person telling me that in grade 12, much to my dismay as I was anything and am anything but).

I just can be slightly socially awkward. Oh and say inappropriate things.... sometimes it seems like I have no control over my mouth, things come out (and I think....'oh, I shouldn't have said that'... but it's already out there....). So maybe instead of saying 'slightly' socially awkward, I should just say socially awkward. All the way baby....

It takes me quite a while to relax and feel comfortable with you. You being you in the actual real world, in-person that is. I think I come across a little different via email. I know I can be way more verbose and quick-witted. And eloquent. It is easy when you can erase or delete that last sentence and write it again before you send it.

I have no control over it really, and envy people that are easily chatty. And have tons of friends. I have tried to change it, but to no avail. I think it's here to stay, as much as I try to change it. And happily M gets it, and always has....

0 comments: